Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Poem #1: The Bookstore Shelf


The Bookstore Shelf

I laced up my boots and headed west,
My big toe stuck out like the hand of a compass.
Yearning for answers the search engine just could not find,
I scoured the remains of bi-ways, high-ways, and filth ridden city streets
Longing for the jazz that was birthed from Benzedrine poetry.
Wanting to read the sun drenched wrinkles of an immigrant’s face like a sacred map, 
To find the callused feet of a biblical martyr
Who could reset my path like a wipe of a hard drive.


Too many dreams wound up in poetic devices to see
The
new mother’s milk that is tainted with melamine,
A father despondent in his cubicle cell,
And the older sister with ringing ears in her superstore hell. 

While grandmother calls for comfort only to find
A backed up answering machine that chimes: “Inbox full”


Everyone is full of these things that define
Us not as people but the commodities we buy.

But who am I to judge such findings?
I embody a commodity so over played and overpriced. 

The college student who believes that the book store shelf 
Provides truth to this life with words that are dead. 
Created by those whom time has declared
Commodities to buy from a bookstore shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment